.

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Amazing.

Forgive me if I don't go into much detail in this post. Today was a very important, meaningful, as well as exhausting day. So I am very tired and as soon as I finish this post, I am going up to bed. And it's only 8pm.

Today I went with my therapist to the school where my trauma took place. I didnt sleep well at all last night. because I was so nervous, and in so much pain. I think I have a pinched nerve in my back. So I woke up this morning for therapy and I wasnt as nervous as I thought. So, as we drove up to the school, I kind of stopped breathing. It was...crazy. It looked pretty much the same. Then we started walking the grounds. And the first place we walked was to the side of the building where the rooms were that it happened. That was kind of a scary moment. My therapist peeked in the windows, while I just sort of looked around. And then I looked in the windows. And I saw the staircase that I used to go down to the basement where it happened. And it looked the same. Dark and dreary. And I had to step away at that point. That was really...intense. All the memories came flooding back. So then we walked around to where the art building and music building was, and the back yard (the school is an old mansion that was turned into a school. So it's not a typical looking school). And that was cool to reflect on like the good memories and things I had forgotten about. And then we walked back to the part of the building where the abuse took place. We sat down and I read out loud the letters I had written. I wrote one to my abuser, and one to my 11 year old self. That was hard. I had to stop and take deep breaths a couple of times. And, I just thought I was going to take the letters back with me. But my therapist was like, well why dont you rip them up and throw them in the dumpster (which was right near where we were sitting). And I hadn't thought of that... and honestly it made me a little bit sad. I felt like if I did that, then I was like...losing the parts of myself that had conquered my past and grown from it. I know that sounds strange. But then I thought, well I want to let go of the shame, guilt, and regret. And this would be appropriate. So I ripped them up and threw them in the dumpster. After I did that, I looked down on the ground...and there was a heart shaped rock. And I of course picked it up and took it with me. You know it's weird. I thought I was going to be like a super mess and overwhelmed. And in between jobs today I did sit in my car and cried for a while. I think it was just relief that I felt. Now I feel...tired, and proud.

So that was my day. I officially made the decision to cut back on therapy, and I am confident in my decision. So I won't be seeing my therapist until two weeks from now. I of course can email/call/text her if I need to. I see my dietitian tomorrow and that should go well. Things have been a little difficult with food lately, but nothing horrible. I am sure I will get back on track.

Today marks 8 months in recovery. I honestly have never felt better and as hopeful as I do now. It's amazing. Recovery is amazing. I am so proud of all the super hard work I have done, and am still doing. I never thought recovery was something I could do, or even deserved. But now I believe in myself and recovery. It just seems to keep getting better. Never imagined that!

Well, I am off to bed. Thank God tomorrow is Friday! My family and I are going to cut down a Christmas tree this weekend! I love Christmas time!

5 comments:

  1. i don't really know what to say, other than just that i admire you so much. you are really so, so strong.

    and i hope you have an amazing time getting ready for christmas with your family. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. so proud of you! this was such a huge step towards your healing. i know it wasn't easy, but I hope this showed you the strength that you have inside. it's hard for us to recognize our strength sometimes, especially with an ed tearing us down - but i see the strength in you. i see you fighting every single day against something that is trying to overtake you. i live it too. but doing things like you did today, show the ed and the abuse, and the past that you aren't going to let anyone or anything hurt you anymore! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. even though you already filled me in on everything, I loved reading this again. You sound so well, Holly :) You really have been a huge inspiration this past year as you have sought the proper treatment. Seeing how far you have come makes me want to get there too. I love you girl. Keep moving in the right direction and I will meet you soon on that side of life <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a brave, strong and inspiring person you are! It must have been so challenging to face these things head on but I think the title of your post really sums both you and what you have achieved up perfectly - amazing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your strength! Keep the fight going and let recovery expand! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete