.

Friday, December 23, 2011

Bulimia.

*Warning. This post has the potential to be triggering. I do not use numbers. But if you are easily triggered by talk of bulimia, you should not read this post.*


I've had my eating disorder for 9 years. For the majority of those years, I struggled with anorexia. However, the past 3-4 years I came into the grips of bulimia. I am writing this blog post to explore why and how bulimia has been more effective for me, in terms of my disease, not my life. I want to preface this by saying that I am currently 10 months purge free.

Bulimia for me was/is all about comfort and safety and control. In particular, the rituals that I had surrounding my binge/purge episodes. There was this huge build up of anticipation when planning and carrying out my binges and purges. I almost want to say I glorified it in my mind. But bulimia is not glamorous or fun. Bulimia was so addictive for me. It was my crutch, my escape. I did it with so much secrecy, that it was almost was like this secret friend I had that I couldn't imagine living without. I know that if I relapsed with bulimia, it would be a hard and fast fall. While I'm not purging, I still think about it quite often. I still plan out binges in my head. I still remember the the rituals I had. It brings me comfort and safety just thinking about it and seeing it in my head. The foods I used to binge/purge on, were mainly fast food types of things. I realize that I haven't eaten my favorite fast food since February, the last time I binged/purged.
I figured out something out in therapy last week. I've always felt that safety and comfort have been lacking in my life, for as long as I can remember. And I really believe that's one of the main reasons I turned to my eating disorder. And even today, I struggle with these things. And I have noticed that when I am having an especially hard time with those feelings, that I have more bulimia centered thoughts and urges.

I think this is definitely something to explore in therapy. Obviously I need to find healthy ways to get comfort and safety. I think having more friends would help, but that also feels unsafe to me. It's complicated.
Anyway, that's my thought for the night.

2 comments:

  1. i love this post. it is so brave and honest. you are a strong and inspring woman. i know how rough it can be to not purge when those feelings are so strong but... you CAN do it!! you have proved that yo yourself by going 10 months! that is so great! <3

    i hope you have a merry christmas! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im really struggling with this at the moment. I wish i knew how to stop the cycle.

    ReplyDelete