.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Things are looking up!

Finalllllly, I can write a positive post!

I know my last blog post was kind of depressing and negative. But things are going better, thank goodness. I saw my therapist today. It was a really good session. We talked about Monday night, and how it probably wasn't a good decision to tell my dietitian about my trauma. Not because she doesn't love me (she is the most loving person ever) but because she doesn't really know how to make sure I stay grounded when talking about my past. I don't regret telling her, I only regret not taking better care of myself.
Last week my therapist mentioned taking a field trip to the school where my abuse occurred. I have been thinking a lot about it and thought it would be a good idea. It would help me see that even though bad things happened there, it is not a bad place. And there were good things that did happen there. I think it would help me to make peace with everything and help me move forward. So I said this to my therapist today and she is totally down with it. We are going to take the field trip in 2 weeks. It should be interesting and hopefully a healing experience.
I was talking with my therapist about how I still have a lot of my "anorexic clothes" around my house. In particular, three pairs of jeans that don't fit anymore, not even close. I also have some winter shirts that are tight around my arms and are getting uncomfortable to wear. I don't think I am ready to get rid of all of these clothes yet. There is a tiny piece of me that still wishes I fit into those jeans. My therapist challenged me to get rid of the smallest pair of jeans. I think I can do it, even though it will be hard. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them. I feel like maybe I need to do some sort of ritual with them. Suggestions?
My therapist said my assignment for this week is to practice grounding skills every morning. I am hoping this will help with my anxiety and my surrounding trauma issues. I am feeling more hopeful, feeling like my anxiety is starting to lessen, and I am getting my power back.

I had a moment today at work when my body image got really bad. Someone I work with (who knows about my eating disorder) said, "Yeah you were kind of too big there for a while but now your weight seems to have leveled out. You looked really bloated for a long time." I'm not really sure why people think it's okay to comment on someone else's weight, especially when you know they have suffered from an eating disorder. I just felt really huge when she said that. Is that way I see myself the way people see me too?

I am getting increasingly anxious about Thanksgiving. It will be my first Thanksgiving in 9 years that I am not using eating disorder behaviors. I will eat breakfast that day, eat lunch, and eat a normal dinner and not binge like crazy and then purge. My dietitian is going to see me next week sometime before Thanksgiving, and I have a session with my therapist the day after. So I know I will have lots of support. Be on the lookout for a "I'm thankful for..." post.

Not much else is going on. I am looking forward to group on Monday night, to get some feedback from my Wise Women about stuff that has been going on. I have decided what I want my next tattoo to be. It's going to be a labyrinth with the word "unbroken" written around it. I can't decide if I want it on the back of my neck or my shoulder blade. I am probably going to wait until after the new year to get it.

Anyway, that's it for now.

4 comments:

  1. Hi There,

    I have just been reading over your blog and just have to say how much of an inspiration you are. Wishing you all the best in your recovery and I look forward to reading more about your journey.

    Much love,

    Kylie-Rose xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. someone told me that they had made a purse out of their old ed jeans. It is a cute idea, just that I'm not really handy with a sewing machine. Sarah had this idea http://www.bearingeatingbeing.com/2011/07/art-that-tells-a-story/ that is really good too. Maybe rather than just get rid of them, you can do something symbolic of your recovery with them?

    Good luck with Thanksgiving. What an amazing accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    I read your blog entry, and it feels to me like you are really a hard worker in your recovery..
    I can relate to going back to visit the school where your abuse had happened, and I know that doing this takes a lot of courage, i can relate, and if my therapist suggested for me, i would be too scared, and wouldn't agree. So the idea that you agreed and you will go and visit the school in two weeks, tell me that you are such a strong and determined person!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, I feel ya on the old jeans that have been sitting on my shelf for two years. I am moving soon therefore will throw them away. I want nothing to do with them as those were the old days. I'm not sure everyone is like me but getting completely rid of them maybe even burning them symbolizing that is the old way now I am a regenerated woman.

    Just treat Thanksgiving like any other day. You got it girl :)

    ReplyDelete