.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

What is wrong with me?

I have been asking myself this question for several days now. What is wrong with me? Like seriously, I feel so messed up. My eating disorder is so present, it is so raw, and so powerful. You always hear and read about the "ED voice". I hear it all day every day right now. It has never been so loud. And my own voice is so quiet and over powered by ED.

Yesterday I ate the most I have eaten in a couple weeks. And today I woke up and I remembered that, I remembered what I had eaten. And so what did I do? I didn't eat today. It's like...there is no middle ground. It's either bad or good. Right now it feels super bad. I watched some cheesy Lifetime movie about eating disorders today and I felt like I was the character in the movie. I felt like I was that sick. It made me ashamed of myself. I know there are so many women and men out there that have dealt with their eating disorders so much longer than I have. For me...it's been almost 8 years. But for me...that seems far too long. What is so wrong with me that I have not recovered? Have I not wanted it enough? In most cases, that is the most logical answer. Or is there something wrong with me that I am one of those cases that just cannot recover?

And then, today...I was at work. And I really wanted to eat the Mac n' Cheese we have. I mean, it's really high in calories and not so good for you. But it tastes good to me and I wanted to have some. But I couldn't. Because I knew that if I ate it...I would have to throw it up. And so I deprived myself of the Mac n' Cheese, and settled for the lowest calorie item on the menu. That was all I felt I could handle.

And so now I am faced with this hurdle. I have the appetite (not always, but it is there occasionally) to eat foods that I used to enjoy and eat without care. But now I feel like if I eat it...I have to purge. And I can relate all of these eating disorder behaviors to the fact that I am avoiding my emotions. I starve myself to forget what is really going on. And IF I purged, it would be to get out the emotions that I DO feel.

I almost feel like I've sort of lost my mind a little bit. I am in constant motion, physical and mental. My brain never rests, my body never rests. I just don't understand what is going on!

Am I this upset and this devastated by the fact that my best friend is moving that I am slowly starving myself to death? I told my friend Karen the other day that I DO NOT want to have to reach a rock bottom to get back up and get back on track with recovery. But that has always been the case in the past. Last year when I lost my job BECAUSE of my eating disorder...it was then that I put the weight back on and started eating again. And here I am again. Full blown relapse. I don't want to lose my job again, that would be catastrophic.

But here I am again...rambling, about nothing it feels like.

2 comments:

  1. Holly, you are stronger than this. You are.
    I know this is such a fight, but you are strong, you are brave...
    You have to confront this now, as you say.
    Because if not.
    It will only get worse.
    I don't know how you can access support.
    Or some sort of encouragement to help you?
    Could you plan meals around being with others?

    Take care xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, you are beautiful. You are smart. You are such a sweet girl. You can beat this stupid ED. Yes, it's been a long time. But why not start today? Why not eat that Mac 'N Cheese? You want it, don't you? It's not going to do anything harmful to you! You will be happy and feel more normal than ever. I understand that you might not be able to do this guilt-free at this particular time, but you will get there.
    You have to fight every meal, though Holly!
    You have to start now or else the ED WILL take over completely. It will ruin your life :/ I don't want this for you.
    Remember how beautiful you are, inside and out. Food is just food. It doesn't define your life; it shouldn't anyway. Good luck with this week girly
    <3 Haley

    ReplyDelete