.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

You have been my friend

My very best friend is moving, and it hurts. I know he is following his dreams and is doing what is best for him and really I could not be happier and more excited for him, because I know he is going to be successful in all the ways he wants and dreams to be. He deserves the very best.

But the reality that he is moving to a different state, possibly to the other side of the country...has really set in. Maybe for a long time I chose not to believe that he was really serious when he said he would be moving. Now I know he is.

The truth is, I needed all of my destructive behaviors so much less when I met him. For someone like me who is admittingly selfish and wrapped up inside myself...I saw what was outside of me. I saw what life had to offer me. I found an amazing friend, probably the best friend I have ever had. To all my other co-workers that have worked with him since August, he might just be another person that has flown in and out of Panera. But to me, I feel like I will be losing a piece of me.

My biggest fear (Fear: his least favorite word) is that I will lose touch with him when he moves, and we won't be as close. It's going to be so difficult to go from....seeing this person 5 days a week...to not at all. I wonder if he thinks these things as well.

One of my favorite childhood movies, that still makes me cry everytime I see it, has a quote in it that pretty much sums up what this person has meant to me. I have had many, many supportive people in my life, throughout my life. But this is the FIRST person, that has broken me out of my shell. He is the "first" in many senses, but I am a different person since meeting him...a better person.

The quote is...
"You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing." - Charlotte's Web

He still IS my friend, and ALWAYS will be. But like the quote says...to me it has been so tremendous what he has meant to me and provided me with.

2 comments:

  1. Sad...yet beautiful.
    Life. Lesssons. Growth. Movement.
    Missing someone.
    Seeing them again.

    ~Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you'll remain great friends. It sounds like you guys really have something special. That doesn't just go away.
    <3

    ReplyDelete